Through an exploration of over five centuries of music, this concert celebrates the infinite possibilities of the string quartet.
Highlights include Helen Grime’s theatrical work with three interlocking movements that ebb and flow, pulsing with life and infused with deep feeling. Purcell’s stately Fantasia is full of intricate invention and harmony, seemingly infused with light. The evening concludes with an epic quartet from one of the most original and enduring composers of the 20th century, Benjamin Britten.
- PURCELL: Chacony in G minor (5’)
- GRIME: String Quartet No.1 (15’)
- PURCELL: Fantasia No.6 in F (4’)
- MACKLAY: Many Many Cadences (9’)
- PURCELL: Fantasia in C minor (4’)
- BRITTEN: String Quartet No.2 (30’)
Performed by Ensemble 360.
- Featured in
- Sheffield Chamber Music Festival